A new study from Juniper Research has found that the total number of digital wallet users will exceed 5.2 billion globally by 2026, up from 3.4 billion in 2022. The research predicts that the presence of superapps will drive digital wallet use in developing countries that are currently considered cash heavy.
- Over 60% of the global population will use digital wallets by 2026.
- Superapps are multipurpose apps able to integrate digital payments alongside other services.
- Three countries in the Asia Pacific are primed for rapid growth over the next four years:
– The Philippines
- The adoption of digital wallets will near 75% of the population in these three countries by 2026.
- QR code payments will be the most popular digital wallet transaction type in 2026, reaching 380 billion transactions globally and accounting for over 40% of all transactions by volume.